Jussie Smollett Comes Out as Gay: Watch His Announcement Here

Jussie Smollett Comes Out as Gay: Watch His Announcement Here, Jussie Smollett has made a very personal announcement on Ellen.

The actor, who has made a major name for himself as Jamal Lyon on Empire Season 1, recently taped an appearance on Ellen DeGeneres' talk show on which he chose NOT to discuss his personal life.

But he then asked to chat with the comedian backstage and to release the following video online.It was really important to me to make sure that it got across that there is no closet,” Smollett said, confirming he is gay.

“There’s never been a closet. That I’ve been in. I don’t own a closet, I got a dresser, but I don’t have a closet, but I have a home and that is my responsibility to protect that home."

He continued:

"Let's not read into it wrong when I say that I don’t talk about my personal life.. it is in no way to hide or deny who God made me. Ya know?”

Smollett concluded that his family has known about his sexual identity for awhile now.

“My mama knows. My Mama likes me a lot,” he said, half joking:

“I take her to the Sound of Music sing-along every single year. So, any questions? But you know, honestly, we’re humans and we love and we do all that good stuff. So I’m honored for this opportunity and I’m honored to be here with you.”

We applaud Jussie Smollett for having the courage to make this kind of public announcement.