Rick Ross “Most Definitely” Plans on Purchasing the New Maybach

Rick Ross “Most Definitely” Plans on Purchasing the New Maybach, Rick Ross is just days away from the release of Hood Billionaire, his seventh studio album, and his second in eight months. As the fates have it, Mercedes-Benz recently confirmed that it would be bringing back the Maybach, the ultra-luxe sedan line that inspired the name of Ross’s label, Maybach Music Group.

VF Hollywood called up Ross to ask him for his expert take on the forthcoming Mercedes-Maybach S600 (more details over at VF Daily), about putting out two full-length albums in one year, and his vision for Hood Billionaire, which lands in stores and digital retailers on Monday.

VF Hollywood: How are you feeling about the upcoming album release?

Rick Ross: It feels good, man. Two albums, one year—that’s Ricky Rozay.

The album sounds like a pretty good time. Was there a guiding vision that you tried to adhere to while recording?

There was most definitely was a vision for this record. I released the album Mastermind earlier this year, in March. You know, I wanted that to be more soulful and wordy. This one, I wanted to be more club, with bigger bass. That type of shit that will take over the club, so the chicks could do their things, and the bosses could pop loud to, too.

Why did you want to do two full-length studio albums in one year?

Everything just fell into place. With Mastermind, we couldn’t release it at the end of 2013, it went over to the top of 2014, for clearance issues. I felt good about it, and the fans appreciated it, but I had a whole year left. So, let’s turn up. Let’s do what a boss would do. I just had a lot of time left in the year.

Let’s talk about the newly announced Maybach. When we heard Mercedes was bringing back the brand, we immediately thought there was one guy we had to call.

Of course! The biggest! From my first Maybach, the 57, to the 62, Maybach’s still number one. I love going places and saying that term, and I thank them for allowing me to represent that brand.

The new model is coming out spring 2015. Will you be buying one?

I most definitely would love to have one. I would love to have one. I’ve seen a few photos, but I’m not sure what’s accurate, or a prototype. But I’ve seen one that looked like a Mercedes-Benz 600. Once I get to the bottom of it, I’m sure I’ll want to buy one.

Have you and Mercedes been in touch, at all?

No, it’s just a respectful thing. I don’t reach out for anything. I don’t need nothing. I’m good. I buy their cars, and I’m going to keep buying them, so long as they keep making them. I’m going to stay number one, just like they’re going to stay number one. We have a lot of things in common.

They should be sending you one over for endorsing the brand so much.

You never know what will happen. You never know.

Some of the features are interesting, like twin sunroofs with what they’re calling Magic Sky Control, a layer of electrified glass that can change from transparent to opaque, offering you the choice between a sky view or heightened privacy.

That’s genius. It’s just genius.

The rear windows are also a little smaller, for more privacy and a quieter interior. How do you feel about that?

A smaller window? It depends on the car. I understand what they’re saying about privacy, and that’s always wonderful, but it really depends on the car.

What’s your favorite Maybach model?

For me, it’s my first model, which was the 57S. I still have it. A lot of beautiful memories in there. I love it. It’s beautiful.

How soon into your career did you decide to go with that branding?

After I made my hit record, in ’06, I went on tour and traveled the world. I was just saving my money—I wasn’t buying anything for the first year, or year and a half. But when I was traveling around the world, the one thing that’s consistent, and I see country to country, whether I’m in Nice, France, or London, regardless of where I go, is that the biggest businessmen in the country drive Maybach. And I said, “That’s what I want to drive.”

After I purchased my first Maybach, which I want to say was in ’08, it became a lifestyle and a culture. I make Maybach music. The music I make, when I bring the best producers together, when me and Jay Z collaborate, when me and Kanye West collaborate out in Hawaii for two weeks—I’m just ready to get back home and play it in my Maybach.

Some guys like listening to their music in the studio, or in a club setting, but for you, it’s official when you hear it in the car?

Oh my God. It’s over. Just lay your head back, close your eyes, and tip your driver great.

Did you hear any people doubting that you would be able to release two full-length albums in one year?

No, I’m not really into that. We do this every day. We win every day; tell them to check the scoreboard. I haven’t lost since I came in the game. So if someone is saying, “You’re going to lose,” to me, obviously they’re out of touch with the culture. Stop. Go eat a cheeseburger.