Rex Ryan: Geno Smith has handled his demotion the right way

Rex Ryan: Geno Smith has handled his demotion the right way, The Jets are sticking with Michael Vick, but they like the way Geno Smith is going about his business after his demotion.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said his former starter was still doing the things he needed to do, even if he’s doing them as a backup.

“I think he has prepared well. I guess time will tell once he gets an opportunity to play again,” Ryan said, via Kimberley Martin of Newsday. “I don’t think any player likes it. They shouldn’t like it. But, I think he approached it the right way.”

Ryan has defended Smith’s future, saying he thinks he’ll eventually be a good quarterback — though he doesn’t want to find out right now.

“I am not really looking past this game,” Ryan said. “So, if that happens, then it happens. Right now we are going with Mike to play against Pittsburgh, and that’s as far as I have thought about it.

Smith raised some eyebrows when he was asked about his demotion, and said: “I just went on with my day.”

But it wasn’t really his work and preparedness that hampered him, it was the fact he wasn’t very good at playing football that caused him to lose his job to Vick.