Thursday 5 September 2013

Joe DiMaggio "I finally get to see Marilyn."


Joe DiMaggio "I finally get to see Marilyn, The last words of Joe DiMaggio were regarding his former love. I don’t blame him. I mean. How could you not fall in love with a woman like her? Beautiful, charismatic, overtly sexual and mysterious,

Marilyn was an enigma unto herself. It has been well over 50 years since her death and people are still in love with her. It’s no wonder old Joe couldn’t wait to see her in the afterlife. Being with Marilyn must have been just like heaven.

Anyway, my initial point was when most people have an awareness of their impending death, their last words are of love, not of hate, nor anger. When the hijacked planes hit the World Trade Center on one of the most tragic days in our nation’s history, the individuals on board called their husbands, wives, sisters, brothers, and friends to express their love.

If I had the chance to contact someone before my own death, I wouldn’t be calling my landlord, telling him to fuck off. I would call the person who means most to me. It is a rare universal truth. And there is something profoundly beautiful in that.

I know my last post was a little depressing, albeit somewhat melodramatic, so I wanted to lighten things up. I intend this blog to be mostly about firsts and lasts, because often these are the moments we can point to and know without a shadow of a doubt that we have been irrevocably changed.

I have a pretty incredible first coming up. Pretty incredible for me, at least. I get to see The National in concert this upcoming September. I will most likely cry like I did when I watched I Am Sam for the first time. Don’t ever watch that movie.

ALSO. I seriously hope this doesn’t turn into an online diary. Honestly it probably will and when it does, I am truly sorry. Those are painfully awkward but almost impossible to look away from. Kind of like a car crash.